Please join me as we explore over 345 years of living history in downtown Charleston. As we pass beautiful restored antebellum homes, churches, and church (grave) yards, imagine yourself ‘catching a breeze’ on one of the piazzas looking out over Charleston harbor where pirates roamed in the late 17th and early 18th centuries.
Hear the story of Edward Teach, aka Blackbeard and Stede Bonnett the so called ‘gentleman pirate’ who was captured, tried, and hung near Oyster Point (now known as White Point Garden) in 1718.
Pause for a moment and think of the panic Charleston felt when the Royal British navy appeared off the Charleston Bar in late May, 1776, and British troops landed on Long Island (now known as the Isle of Palms) shortly thereafter.
Look out towards the southeast to Fort Sumter where the first shots of the War Between the States were fired in the early the morning of April 12, 1861.
We’ll travel along Meeting Street, passing such landmarks as the ‘Four Corners of Law’, Saint Michael’s Church, beautifully restored antebellum homes, First Scots Presbyterian Church, South Battery, White Point Gardens (aka Oyster Point), East Battery, East Bay St., the beautiful Rainbow Row, Tradd St, Broad St, the Old Exchange Building, Church St, Saint Phillips Church, the Dock Street Theater, and Chalmers St.
We’ll meander down charming streets and mysterious alleys as we explore one of America’s most beautiful and Historic cities. Bring your cameras as you’ll have many opportunities for memorable pictures along the way and who knows, we may even see a pirate or two…!
Walking Tours meet at:
Historic Charleston Foundation Shop
108 Meeting Street
Charleston, S.C. 29402
Love Charleston, but can’t take the summer heat? Join me on my new addition of a Drive-Walk Tour around the Historic District.
I’m one of the few guides licensed by the City of Charleston for driving/walking tours. Here is how it works:
- After picking you up at your hotel in my SUV, we enjoy the comfort of air-conditioning along with a bottle of chilled water.
- We leisurely admire the beautiful antebellum homes, churches, and buildings, as I fill you in on the interesting history and architecture of each.
- We’ll periodically stop to walk some of the areas with the SUV nearby.
- Availability for up to six guests.
I also drive guests to any or all of the five Plantations open to the public.
This is a most pleasant way to see the best of the Charleston Plantations. We drive some, walk some, and learn about the Deep South from the ground up.
Our private tours are custom planned for your group.
We take into account special needs, interests and desires of the group and plan your excursion accordingly. Call for details and pricing.
- Specializing in small groups.
- Group Walking tours begin 9:30 am. Private Tours, we accommodate your requested start time–Fall/Winter/Spring only.
- Afternoon Tours by Request. June –September, Drive-Walk Tour only)
- Escorted Plantation tours for up to 6 guests. Ask why guests chose me to escort them.
- Contact us for Pricing.
- Private Tours, Walking or Drive-Walk Available.
- Tours for large family and/or groups of friends, contact us for rates and availability.